REFLECTOR: engine choice

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Wed Mar 14 11:05:17 CDT 2007

"As smooth as an eight cylinder."
I'd been an enthusiastic Deltahawk proponent for years, until I talked with
Ken Mishler at the Velocity symposium last year. He helped install a
Deltahawk at the Velocity factory and actually flew it a little. First of
all, let me say that Ken likes it. He thinks it will be a good engine after
they get all of the bugs worked out of it. They were having a problem with
the oil temperature getting so hot that it melted an internal component.

Ken said that when he first sat in the Velocity with the Deltahawk idling,
the instrument panel shook so much that he couldn't read the instruments. It
was rattling like a diesel. Now, once you got the rpms up, it smoothed out.
(He also said that the low end torque was phenomenal. He couldn't believe
how quick the Velocity got off the ground.)

Part of my attraction to the Deltahawk was my disgust with the Lycosaurus.
But the kit engines today are bringing the air cooled, horizontally opposed
aircraft engines into the 21st century. I'm leaning towards ECI's IOX-360
with the cold air induction system and their mechanical fuel injection. Plus
two P-mags. And I'm going to check out that self-lubricating cam shaft. I'm
going to provide ram air for a little better service ceiling. I like the low
weight and simplicity of the air cooled engine. And I'll probably save 3
months of building time with the IOX-360 compared to the Deltahawk.

The downside is fuel expense.  Where the IOX-360 will burn 9 gph, the
Deltahawk will burn maybe 7 gph. But considering my 100 hrs/yr of flying, it
would take 15 years to break even on the $10k price difference between the
two engines. Heck, I might be dead in 15 years.

Sorry for the long post. I'm really getting into this project.

Doug Holub