REFLECTOR: BMA Autopilot - Part 2

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 14 00:23:15 CDT 2007

*	It works fine tracking  the internal GPS (gain at 50) with minor
s-turns once in while.
*	It sort of works on the heading and course bug but tends to
overshoot slightly

That's weird ours is just the opposite.  Works great on heading hold, but S
turns with GPS and track hold

*	It doesn't work right using the SL30 to track a VOR or ILS.   It
makes big S turns and appears to turn the wrong direction on most occasions.

Ours will track a VOR also fairly well, until you get under 5 miles, then
some fishtailing.  Haven't tried ILS yet.

*	The altitude hold works fine as long as I keep it under 160 kts.
I lack sufficient elevator trim above that speed to keep the nose down (my
problem, not BMAs)
*	Climbs and descents are more problematic and have yet to stabilize
where I feel safe using it.  I believe the problem is my elevator trim
set-up more than the BMA.    I moved and adjusted the elevator trim to
accommodate the BMA hardware.    Before I had plenty of nose down trim and
not enough nose up (for landings, etc), now I've reversed that and find
myself with too little nose down at cruise.

It will hold altitude great for us (no hunting) as long as you trim the
plane first.  It will not climb or descend without help with the trim
switch.

*	When using the ILS, the AP always attempts to turn away--not sure
what's wrong with that.    the ILS and VOR display on the BMA is correct so
I'm not sure what is wrong.

What software version do you have loaded?

Thanks,

Craig