REFLECTOR: Nose cyl faulty construction - Safety BulletinCommunications

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 23:04:22 CDT 2007

Scott Baker...

I'm a little confused here... Are you saying that the factory does not stand
behind the advice you post on the Reflector...???

Best...Steve...

<SNIP>

"Just a short and friendly rebuttal to Terry's note regarding his
experiences
and comment regarding factory communications relating to MATCO nose gear
cylinders."

As you may know, "the factory" does not monitor, contribute, or offer
comments to the Reflector.  I personally have been a Reflectorite for over
10-years (prior to joining Velocity, Inc) and enjoy being a member of the
group, plus being somewhat of a listening post and liason between
Reflectorites and the company.
For everyone new to the Reflector, there is only _one_ location for Safety
Bulletins and KPC's (Kit Plans Changes) - and this is the Builder's section
of the www.velocityaircraft.com web site.  Please make it a habit to check
the site from time to time to see if there are any new issues or changes
that affect your aircraft.  If you do not have a password or user ID to
enter the Construction Manual section of the Builder's page, please
telephone 772-589-1860 or email me for this information at
scottb at velocityaircraft.com.

Terry offered an excellent suggestion that information regarding the Safety
Bulletin involving MATCO nose gear cylinders be included with the MATCO
hydraulic cylinder rebuild kit.

Many thanks!
Scott B.

If the implanted metal plate in the rubber bumper is deformed - or if the
captivator plate, or "U" strap was improperly installed - a gap will occur
between the nose gear strut and the "U" shape strap.  As the aircraft
bounces down the taxiway, the 'play' caused by the space between the strut
and the "U" strap allows the strut to have excessive forward<>aft travel.
The extra travel may cause the nose strut fairing to rub the underside of
the fuselage (making a noise).  I guess it's possible the strut might make a
noise when it comes in contact with the strap.  To explore this possibility,
raise the nose of aircraft off the ground (using a padded saw horse
positioned under the forward edge of the canard bulkhead.  Raise the nose
enough so that the nose wheel is above the ground, say 2 to 3".  Then using
arm force, push the strut from front to back.  There should very little, if
any, loose play.  If you detect loose play, then plan on inserting a shim
between the "U" strap and the nose strut to take away the play.  Confirm the
captivator assembly is tight against the strut.
SB

As long as the bushings are secure, the captivator plate is tight, the "U"
clamp is bolted tight to the front rubber, and there are no cracks in the
strut, you're fine!
The nose will "sway" a little when pushed from side to side.  This is
normal.  You should not hear any 'clicking' or mechanical movement of the
strut, however.
Scott B.