REFLECTOR: engine choice

Benedikt Harren benedikt.harren at airovision.de
Tue Mar 13 16:48:50 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I emailed with scott b. today regarding tools for my shop (just getting
started) and the dual yoke option (with low cut keel). I also asked him
about engine choices and told him that I was thinking about going automotive
(once I get to that point). I have looked at Bill Mulrooney's V-8
installation which looks very promising (good T/O & climb performance + low
fuel consumption + lots of HP). I have a Standard RG Elite model and was
wondering if the smaller wing will be able to take the load of the heavier
engine installation (similar to an IO-540)? After all, the only difference
between the long and the short wing seems to be the wing itself, since the
main spar looks identical !? I also noticed that load factors, published on
the velocity website for the XLs are smaller than the ones for the Stds,
letting me belief that the wings are of similar strength? I was just
wondering what the group's input was on this (V8 installation with gross
weight increase to 2800).

Anybody else flying or building a V8 velocity?

Kind regards,

Ben Harren
( Std RG Elite N888GF / just getting started)