REFLECTOR: FG nose gear play

Velocity velocity_az at cox.net
Tue Mar 13 16:00:06 CDT 2007

Hiroo,

I have had issues with the nose gear rubber shock deforming (even from the
plane sitting on the ground during building for 2 years). In the last 3
years I have either added spacers to take up the void created by the
deformed rubber shock or totally replaced it to eliminate fore and aft
movement of the nose gear leg.  I was getting shimmy of the nose gear when
there was too much play.  Even after a few landings with a new rubber shock
(not hard landings), I noticed some play return in the nose gear (fore and
aft) and with each additional landing it will only get worse.

I also found this issue with some other FG owners (newly completed aircraft
with just a few landings).

The rubber shock that Velocity has been supplying with the kit is no longer
available (it was an automotive part available through NAPA, Carquest, etc).
I spoke with Scott Swing about this issue a few months ago and recommended
that it is a good time to re-design the entire nose gear shock situation as
repeated repairs to this area is time consuming.

Waiting to hear back from Velocity on a re-design - putting in a new rubber
shock, should you find one, will only be a temporary solution - in my
opinion.

Regards,

Kevin
Scottsdale, AZ