REFLECTOR: Radio Transmit Problem

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Mar 11 14:17:04 CDT 2007

I have an ICOM A200 as my com 2.  It connects through my Garmin GMA 340.
Reception seems fine; I typically use it to monitor ATIS, or whatever.
Transmit is not working properly.  Testing with a friend's handheld, he
could hear me OK closeup, but by 100 ft away it was getting muffled or
broken up. COM 1 works fine.

I checked antenna connections at the radio, and yesterday requested radio
check from the tower; who told me he was receiving the 'carrier', but no
voice (although he must have heard me well enough to know how to respond).
Suggestions as to possible cause?

I'm pretty sure I did a radio check early on; and both radios checked OK.
First sign of problem was a while back when I tried to contact Center on Com
2 and got no response.  Seemed peculiar, but SoCal center is a busy place,
and I though maybe they just didn't have time to talk to me.  Apparently
they just never heard me.

Thanks,

Al