REFLECTOR: Wing root cooler

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Jun 30 14:03:17 CDT 2007

Ditto me on the congrats! Now you can stop in and see us again in Utah on
your way to Idaho. I really want to see your bird with the cooling vents in
the wing roots.

Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. If you posted your flight testing
experiences on the reflector, plus any squawks that you learned from, I
missed it. Assuming I missed it, any chance you can post this again?

Dennis;

I have found that the wing root installation hasn't lived up to my
expectations.  I initially had limited cooling by either the oil cooler in
one wing, or the coolant radiator in the other.  This was without much of a
scoop under the wing.  I added a scoop to the oil cooler inlet, and that
improved things enough to allow me to continue flying.  Fortunately the
in-cowl radiator, with its sort of P-51 style armpit scoop, handles the
coolant heat load just fine, so it that hasn't been an issue.

Now with the warm summer temps I am finding the oil temps getting higher
than I'd like in a sustained climb, so I am currently setting up to do some
measurements of pressure differentials; and considering ideas for improving
air flow.  My temperature measurements make it clear that the issue is air
flow, not oil flow.  It may just be my exit fairing design (see photo), but
based on my experience and evaluations, and that of an EZ pilot who also
tried a wing root oil cooler, it seems there may not be low pressure at the
upper surface in that position.  Of course, we pursued this approach based
on Alan Shaw's experience of putting oil coolers in the wing root, which he
said worked wonderfully; so who knows.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

Al