REFLECTOR: Project Updates

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 10:18:44 CDT 2007

Nice to hear the detailed updates! Good details Scott, I'll have to get over
there and take a look pretty soon.

Here's My update,

<The origonal problem was caused by the machine shop that assembled the
rotating assembly. They didn't clean the crank properly after it was machined. That
is where the source of metal was that was pumped into the engine. They also
left out a oil galley plug ($1.67) that sends the oil thru the filter.>

I had a good local shop do the inspection and machine work then I rebuilt the
engine.

The Aluminum 4.3L V-6 is all back together and installed. It ran fine, but I
had some troublesome coolant leaks that took a while to figure out. In the
end, it seems that the head builders overdrilled the dowel pin locating holes by
just a tad. This created a tiny hole (smaller than a paperclip wire) into the
coolant passage that leaked very slightly around the head locating dowel pin
and down the side of the block.

Long story short, all is well again, no leaks!  I have the idle mixture
dialed in on the Airflow Performance Fuel Injection and the timing is set. Cranks
right up and runs well.
The first couple times I started it I was concerned how loud it was. Once I
got the idle down and turned the V so that it didn't point the sound right into
the hangar (ampitheater), it actually sounds pretty good. Surprising,
considering I designed the exhaust and have no mufflers (only stainless cones).

Next step is to continue running the engine and calibrating the RMI engine
monitor (the backup set of guages show water & oil temp, oil pressure and
volts). While I do that I need to make some exit ports in the cowl so that the prop
can draw some thru the radiators.

I wish I had thought of the cowl slot before I went with the piano hinge
method I did on my cowl. It seems much easier for that front line. Instead I have
piano hinges on all the wing roots and front of the upper cowl.
Perhaps I'll see if I can make a slot for the bottom. After I get the cowl
finished up I'll install the prop.

Scott:  Do you have a set of scales to weigh your beast? If not, I was
planning on buying some for my W&B. Let me know, you are welcome to use mine if I
aquire them in time for you.

Kurt