REFLECTOR: Update on brakes

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Sun Jun 24 11:51:39 CDT 2007

A quick update on my brakes.

I went into the hangar and did a few things yesterday.  One of them was to find where the trapped air is in the brake system.

I did discover that there are two places I found bubbles in.  One was right at the brakes.  Despite the back bleeding, it appears that some air was trapped at the calipers.  It also appears that it has worked its way "up" the line as it is now visible at the short section of Nylaflow on the gear leg.  It appears to be about 3/1" in length.

Another was right at the foot pedal as others suggested.  I undid the bottom retaining bolt for the master cylinder at the toe brake.  That allowed me to tilt the cylinder back so that the top fitting was at the highest spot.  After a couple of minutes of leaving it that way, an air bubble showed up at the line.  Dang!

When my bleeding rig is done, I will bleed again.  I ran out of time waiting for the JB Weld to cure.

Hiroo