REFLECTOR: Tips - How to land smooth as a roockie

Ramin Yavrom yavrom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 23 22:11:09 CDT 2007

Hi Lou,

  I have only 25 hours in my Vel, not more of an expert than you. However, I used a trick that really helped me land much smoother.

  Since I am new to Velocity I decided I will use an airport nearby that has a 6500 ft and 11000 ft runway so that i could come in with a bit of power to make it a smoother landing.
  Meanwhile, repeated practice with power landings allowed me to slowly get a hang of the plane and its landing nature.

  Eventually, as you get more and more comfortable with it, you will be able to land with less and less power, untill you come in with full idle.

  I also feel no mater how good you get, even an expert Vel pilot will occasionally have a terrible landing with full idle. I have seen it.

  So, you may wish to do some thing like I did.

  Have fun.

  Ray

LHOSK at comcast.net wrote:    Lou,

  Go get some training at velocity.  I am a retired airline pilot and Navy trained pilot with I don't know how many hours and I felt it prudent to get checked out. (I had not flown a light plane in 30 years). Just land the velocity on the mains and  hold the nose off , it may take quite a bit of back force, slowly lower the nose before the canard stalls. In other words fly the airplane don't let it fly you. It's just another airplane no magic involved.
  Good luck,
  Lon

From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at adelphia.net>
        Thanks Bob. Where are you based?