REFLECTOR: Constant Speed Prop Alternatives

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 23:19:00 CDT 2007

I have flown the Vesta prop now and I didn't like it.  So Vesta said that they are making a complete new set of blades, for me.  Come to find out the new blades most likely will be a copy of the AeroComp blades.. I told Jason at Vesta that it's hard to make a prop fly close to supersonic speeds with a Clark Y airfoil and blunt leading edges.  I told him to get a hold of Catto prop or an AeroComp and copy it, the shape that is.  Also start his twist at 30% instead of 20%. It would run cooler and have more twist where it's needed for the pusher.  He did this and has assured me that I will truly like it.  I was suppose to get the new blades this week.  Still haven't got them.  So the jury is still out.
I got my repaired MT blades back and I will be putting them back in the hub and probably sell it with the plane.  I will see how the new Vesta blades do before selling.  Either or, the extra prop will go with the plane.  As most of you know, it's good to have a spare prop when you own a pusher.