REFLECTOR: Pitch trim

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jun 20 10:26:43 CDT 2007

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch trim

Sorry guys.  I was not clear.  The actuator starts immeadiatley.  It is the
elevator that does not respond for about 5 seconds following the movement of
the actuator motor.

Chris;

If there isn't excessive play anywhere in the connections; then the only
remaining factor would be "drag" on the movement of the elevators. It then
requires some compression of the spring before moving in one direction; then
decompression and compression to get them to move in the other direction.
Perhaps you have the hinge pivot bolts tightened too much; or there is some
misalignment at the center support bushing. Without the trim connected the
elevators should move freely.  Yes, in flight the air loads will "pre-load"
the elevators in one direction or the other, so the drag will not be
noticeable, but I think it best to reduce that drag so as not to be very
noticeable on the ground.

FWIW,

Al