REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Jack Sheehan jsheehan at ncam-sats.org
Fri Jun 15 10:06:49 CDT 2007

I have had very good performance with the
alternate air system from airflow performance
http://www.airflowperformance.com/. I actually
use it differently. The photo is looking up at
the engine the straight tube ( without the filter
has the butterfly valve controled by a cable. In
the open position the induction air comes thru
the air scoop under the belly through scat tube
making a S bend up to the fuel controller. This
provides Ram air. If the environment is bad ie
dust rain sleet etc (ground operations), I close
the ram air and induction air is thru the K&N filter. The K&N is a RU-2790
There is almost 1 inch difference in manifold
pressure due to the Ram air. Take off on the
filtered air or unfiltered(ram ) is essentially
the same since the effect of ram at slow airspeed
is very little.. I thought the increased
temperature of using air from within the engine
compartment would cause an issue but it has not.
The idea was to keep the filter protected from
the elements so it would not clog due to ice dirt etc.
the air scoop I used was one velocity sells it
was a mold used under the wings of older models.

Jack
N55XL
Race 55

At 10:14 AM 6/15/2007, you wrote:
>Scott,
>
>Yep, my air intake does take a turn over 90
>degrees and I will have some measure of
>disturbed flow in there.  It is a compromise
>design like so much of this is.  I am not sure
>we need a ram air.  The engine intake will suck
>air sufficiently, hopefully,  thru that turn­it
>is shortest distance I can make it with a pretty
>straight run after that.  We are talking a short
>distance.  I know airliners are not a good
>comparison, but I did have these jet experiences
>that I included (best I recall) as Collier and I
>discussed the issue.   The B-727 center engine
>is actually in line with the two pod engines
>thru a big S duct.  I was unheard of at the
>time.  Compressor stalls were is big issue on
>start up or even on the ground when I guy would
>make a rolling takeoff in a big crosswind the
>pour the coals to it with inlet air all
>disturbed.   It took some testing in the early
>development years but it works.  Douglas, in the
>DC-10, rejected it in its bigger trijet, while
>Lockheed in the L-1011 included it.
>
>Of course cylinders sucking air are different
>than compressor blades which are more flow
>sensitive.  I opted for what we did.  My
>thinking for anybody not up to this point could
>include these points:  I saw Chuck Jensen’s
>intake.  He uses a portion of what would be
>cooling air by ducting out of his roof
>NACA’s.  (And his intake ducting took some big
>turns too, and didn’t have a lot of ram quality
>to it per se.)  He never mentioned any oil
>temp/cooling issues that I recall.  I think a
>good hunk of that approach would have to include
>a good cooling plenum.  I never asked him about
>this, but I am glad myself to have the space
>free for other stuff in the
>engine-block-to-firewall real estate.  Lots of stuff has to go there.
>
>Belly intakes maybe like Rene would be the best
>for ram air advantage.  His has worked
>too,  based on his 500 hours.  I would worry
>about sucking in water/slush kicked back from
>the nose tire.  That was a problem in the later
>stretched versions of the DC-9.  In fact they
>put mud flaps on the nose tire.  For us
well we