REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:14:08 CDT 2007

Scott,

Yep, my air intake does take a turn over 90 degrees and I will have some
measure of disturbed flow in there.  It is a compromise design like so much
of this is.  I am not sure we need a ram air.  The engine intake will suck
air sufficiently, hopefully,  thru that turn-it is shortest distance I can
make it with a pretty straight run after that.  We are talking a short
distance.  I know airliners are not a good comparison, but I did have these
jet experiences that I included (best I recall) as Collier and I discussed
the issue.   The B-727 center engine is actually in line with the two pod
engines thru a big S duct.  I was unheard of at the time.  Compressor stalls
were is big issue on start up or even on the ground when I guy would make a
rolling takeoff in a big crosswind the pour the coals to it with inlet air
all disturbed.   It took some testing in the early development years but it
works.  Douglas, in the DC-10, rejected it in its bigger trijet, while
Lockheed in the L-1011 included it.

Of course cylinders sucking air are different than compressor blades which
are more flow sensitive.  I opted for what we did.  My thinking for anybody
not up to this point could include these points:  I saw Chuck Jensen's
intake.  He uses a portion of what would be cooling air by ducting out of
his roof NACA's.  (And his intake ducting took some big turns too, and
didn't have a lot of ram quality to it per se.)  He never mentioned any oil
temp/cooling issues that I recall.  I think a good hunk of that approach
would have to include a good cooling plenum.  I never asked him about this,
but I am glad myself to have the space free for other stuff in the
engine-block-to-firewall real estate.  Lots of stuff has to go there.

Belly intakes maybe like Rene would be the best for ram air advantage.  His
has worked too,  based on his 500 hours.  I would worry about sucking in
water/slush kicked back from the nose tire.  That was a problem in the later
stretched versions of the DC-9.  In fact they put mud flaps on the nose
tire.  For us.well we are not all weather operators.  Personally, I would,
and I bet most others would delay a takeoff or landing if there was active
moderate precip that could otherwise be avoided for lots of reasons other
than intake debris.  Just my 2 cents.  Oh, and thanks.  I guess it is a K&N
filter not K&M.

Terry

  _____