REFLECTOR: 2-pilots; who is PIC?

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 18:41:28 CDT 2007

If two qualified and current pilots are in command seat positions, either one can legally act as PIC - regardless of ratings held.
A Private pilot may 'think' that a Commercial, ATP, or CFI - because of his/her 'higher' rating - is considered the ultimate PIC on the flight - but this is not the case.
When two qualified and current pilots share the front seats of a Velocity, it is always a good idea to discuss ahead of time and come to an agreement as to who will act as PIC on the flight.
A CFI is by all means NOT "all knowing".  In my opinion, experienced Velocity pilots with a Private rating are likely to be better qualified to act as PIC with regards to controlling flight, than a CFI without previous Velocity experience.
A CFI may log PIC time if they give flight instruction during the flight.  There are situations where both pilots may log PIC time - but only one may act as the legal PIC at any given moment.
Reminds me of a joke following a flight with two flight instructors in the front seat.  One turns to the other and says, "Nice landing".  The other CFI looks stunned and replies, "I thought you had the controls!"
Scott B.
CFI-I