REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:31:50 CDT 2007

Keith,

Here's what I got...mostly this is a Malcolm Collier/Hangar 18 effort.   He
did the actual carving, and it was his idea.  I took it from there.   I can
send more pics if you need them.  It is the carved foam block routine.  Note
the scoop is away from the underside of the wing, and you can see the outlet
duct going into what would be the eng compartment.  We will use a short hunk
of hose to connect.  The wing root section fits the standard size
rectangular K&M filter and has the suction 2ndary door on a spring for
filter bypass.

The intake plenum that came with the engine didn't work.  Mine now goes off
to the right at about 35 degrees (to the left if you talk to Don George!)
He was good about swapping out the straight on one we had to begin with.
I've got the Ly 540.  I think there are 3 different induction
chambers/plenums whatever they are properly called.  They come on and off w/
a couple of bolts.

Hope this inspires!  Good luck.

Regards,
Terry