REFLECTOR: Ignition Noise

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Tue Jun 12 19:56:00 CDT 2007

Sorry, Brian, No Beer tonight!!!

I have worked all day chasing the noise problem on my Garmin 430:

Disconnected the shield for the power to the EI at the instrument panel (it
was indeed grounded on both ends), found a loose ground wire on the single
point grounding terminal block on the panel; ran the Jeff Rose EI off an
independent battery, using a separate twisted wire, grounded only at the
Electronic Ignition end; installed a big capacitor at the EI end of the
power wire, installed the Radio Shack inductive noise filter kit  swapped
out the direct fire coils (NAPA IC39SB); replaced one plug wire at a time,
removed the EI timing head so that I could spin it and make sparks while the
engine was not running looking for spark jumping anywhere, none found.

I'm tired - I think I'll drink the beer that I was going to send you - and
go to bed and sleep on it!!!  (and copy the Aeroelectric list and see if
anyone else has any suggestions short of replacing the EI with a Slick -
ain't going there!!!!)

ARRGGHHHHH!!!

Ronnie Brown
Velocity 173 Elite RG - IO360 Lycoming