REFLECTOR: Nose wheel balance

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 17:42:45 CDT 2007

Al Gietzen wrote:

> John; I put two short lengths of AL angle across the top of a couple
> of gallon paint cans. Shim to level, space them so the ends of the
> axle rest on the angles, and let the wheel roll to heavy point down.
> Attach weight opposite until it will stop at any point. See photo.
> Worked great for me, wheel runs smooth up to 100 mph. And it’s free!

What you have described is "static wheel balancing". It may not work for
everyone. Sometimes at high rotational speeds the tire will deform
unevenly slightly due to manufacturing tolerances. A tire that is in
balance at low rotational speeds may not necessarily be so at higher
speeds. If you have difficulty getting a fix with this method, then go
to a speed shop that deals with race tires and get them to spin em up
and balance them at speed.

I will admit that with the relatively small radii of plane tires
compared to car and truck tires, this is likely less of a problem, but
it IS something to thing about if unable to fix it with the static method.

One other shortcoming is that the method described does not account for
lateral balance. When putting balance weights on the rims, try to divide
the needed weight into two portions and place one weight on each side of
the rim. Any tire shop's device (static or dynamic) is capable of
resolving this balance issue. Thats "cheap" to me with regards to tire
wear and peace of mind.

Dave