REFLECTOR: Painting and Vinyl Graphics

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 8 19:48:23 CDT 2007

Bruce,

I painted my plane with Cloud White Awlgrip.  Then searched internet for custom vinyl graphics and found some stripes that I liked.  I bought two sets and had enough for a stripe on each side of the fuselage with stripes going up the winglets on both sides.  The graphics were $150 or so.  Between the paint and the graphics, I have less than $1000 in my paint and graphics.   The graphics are simple - I planned them that way - I saw a Starship that just had a set of about 5 stripes down the fuselage - it was simple and elegant. I get a lot of nice comments on my plane.  There are lots of more exotic designs out there.

The graphics were easy to put on - use the supplied soapy solution and follow directions.  You basically wet the plane down and wet down the back of the graphic while peeling off the paper.  There is a carrier paper on the front that keeps everything in place.  When the graphics are where you want them, you peel off the carrier and squeegee out the bubbles. Wait for them to dry for a couple of days and they stay on at 200 knots.  Well 180 knots.  Mine have been on for 1.5 years and they look exactly like when I installed them.  One precaution - do not wax them!!!

Really much easier than painting and taping stripes.  Many of the new Cirrus's and Light Sport aircraft are using graphics.

Ronnie