REFLECTOR: 173 Gross Weight-Was Brake authority

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Thu Jun 7 07:30:08 CDT 2007

snip: a 173 Elite RG (with the IO-360) ... which weighs almost as much as an
> XL.

Hi Tom,
I presume your comment about weighting as much as an XL was aimed towards
the gross weight.  I found your comment interesting in that I am building a
173 RG, with a 20B rotary engine (3 rotor, that should make an easy 250 HP,
300 if I got the higher compression rotors, intake porting and induction
system right.)  I too want a higher gross than the standard specs (nice to
fill the AC with both fuel and passengers.)  My logic is the 173 has the
same wing as the XL so it should have the same lift capability as an XL,
just needs the HP (AC will likely be turned off for takeoff) to keep it
moving through the air which the rotary should provide.

My question is how much have you upped the gross and what performance have
you experienced or have you had any negative effects ?

Thanks,
Joe