REFLECTOR: New to group

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 6 21:06:47 CDT 2007

Thanks Scott, I'll give it a try

Lou Stedman
Velovity N7044Q
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Scott Derrick
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:21 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: New to group

  Hay,

  Is this Lou Stedman that had the Long EZ in ABQ???   If so thanks again for the great ride in your EZ 5-6 years ago,  I got a bit green from the aileron rolls but had a blast and ended up buying a Velocity.

  My $0.02

  I had a similar experience that you did in the behavior of the canard on the Velocity.  I think it is due to the angle the plane sits at.  In the EZ the canard is much closer to a flying angle which is why some will flip over backwards if you don't hold them down when up on the nose gear.  The V sits at a more nose down attitude.

  The consequence of this in the Velocity is the canard is actually working a bit against you on take off, which requires much more up elevator to unstick the nose, once up you release the elevator a bit and you will fly off like you did in your EZ.   For landings you have to give the elevator a touch of nose up when the mains touch and hold it up with more up elevator than you used in the EZ.  You can then let the nose down around 55-65 knots.

  I might be all wet here but it works for me.  One of the flight instructors at the Velocity factory taught this method to me when I took some transition training.

  Scott

  Lou Stedman wrote:
    Hi guys.

    I am new to this group. I recently purchased "Pinky" a Velocity STD fixed gear. I previously flew a LongEZ so I am familiar with the handling of a canard. There are a couple of things that are very different between the two aircraft. Most of the difference comes from the canard. When I took off my LongEZ, I would accelerate to about 60 kts then hold a little back pressure. The canard would lift up , I would hold it there and shortly there after the main wing would fly. With my Velocity, I can hold all the gentle back pressure I want and nothing happens until I give a good pull and then she leaps into the air. Likewise on landing, I cant seem to hold the nose off after the mains touch down. The nose wants to drop right now. I also notice a considerable more trim force than with my Long. I am not sure if my trim spring is too strong or this is normal. If anyone is interested, I have posted a picture of the trim spring on my website. I would appreciate any comments you could make. My site is www.lstedman.photosite.com

    Thanks

    Lou Stedman
    Velocity N7044Q
    Olean, NY

user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

--

-
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

    Thomas Jefferson

  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail