REFLECTOR: Landing Light

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 14:36:59 CDT 2007

No.. you would be better served with an HID landing light. uses a
ballast and arc lamp. I got mine for under$400 USD. Its vibration proof,
draws lower amps than your standard landing or taxi light, and has a
bulb life measured in thousands of hours.

Only downside: you cant "pulse" it like a traditional wig wag.. however
there ARE systems out there designed to pulse HID lights for
attentiongetting..

They also sell Bi-HID motorcycle systems for even less than the aircraft
HID, that have a hi and low beam setting.. and it electromagneticly
shifts the arc from the "low" focus point to the "high" focus point, and
can give the effect of alternatiing high beam and low beam..

I bought one a while back and when installed on our velocity's nose,
everyone is genuinely impressed at its output. I bought the taxi
version, which is a flood bulb, and expect it to light further than the
spot version of the 4509 halogen

Dave