REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 14:00:26 CDT 2007

Yesterday I added a K&N cone filter directly to the intake on the
engine. I have updraft cooling and the cone was located near one of the
inlets so I assumed sufficient air would be available. Test flew this
morning and lost about 1.5" of manifold pressure and 200 rpm (fixed
pitch so this translates directly to speed). Additionally the plugs
loaded up. Pulled the filter today and put the ram air back as engine
was obviously not getting sufficient air. Just an FYI for anyone
contemplating something similar.