REFLECTOR: Brake authority

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 12:07:24 CDT 2007

I have a SE/RG Franklin with Matco brakes.  I do not have the toe brakes.  I
try to make the 1400 ft turn off and if that doesn't work there is a 1600 ft
exit.  If I am high and hot I have to coast to the 3000 ft exit.  If this
happens I have to add power to exit the runway promptly.  The total length
is 4100 feet and I have never had to use that much

Larry;

I'd like to know how you do that - and why our planes are apparently
different.  I'm generally braking pretty hard to make the exit at 3200'.  At
what speed are you flying final?

It seems that under about 90 on final feels like control response is getting
rather poor; even with vg's in front of the ailerons.  Is it a matter of
using more rudder for corrections on final?  Because I find the aileron
response to be slo-o-w.  Two different test pilots that flew early flights
also landed hot, just because it 'felt right'.  Which means even if I'm down
over the numbers it floats in ground effect for some distance, and then it's
mains on at about 80 KIAS. I couldn't begin to think about getting off the
runway in 1600'.

Maybe it's just my lack of technique, and fixed pitch prop, no speed brake.
I have the Wingco canard, for which I had to reduce the incidence to reduce
stall speed, and to be able to go fast without having full forward stick.
Canard stall is now about 70 KIAS.

Al