REFLECTOR: Brake authority

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:11:43 CDT 2007

Hiroo,

I have a SE/RG Franklin with Matco brakes.  I do not have the toe brakes.  I try to make the 1400 ft turn off and if that doesn't work there is a 1600 ft exit.  If I am high and hot I have to coast to the 3000 ft exit.  If this happens I have to add power to exit the runway promptly.  The total length is 4100 feet and I have never had to use that much.  I understand that you have a Franklin with a fixed pitch prop.  A Lycoming will idle at about 600 RPM but the Franklin has a range of 750-950 RPM so you are turning your prop as much as 300 RPM faster than a Lycoming driver and are still in the normal range for your engine.  In addition, a constant pitch prop set to flat pitch will provide greater drag than your prop.  An experiment that you can try is to pull the red knob to idle cutoff when the nose gear touches and I think you will stop about 1000 ft shorter.  I have NEVER had hot brakes during taxi.  Taxi should be touch and release, never drag a brake to correct for a cross wind.  Anybody with a Velocity will tell you that starting from a stand still with a cocked nose wheel is a bear.  That's normal.  Here's why.  Your gear are about 3' from the centerline of thrust and the nose gear is about 9' from the mains.  For a thrust of 100 LBS there is about 33 LBS side load on the nose gear because you are at a 3:1 mechanical disadvantage.  On a Tiger the disadvantage is 1.25:1 which means at the same thrust there is a 80 LBS side load on the nose gear.  That's 2.5 times what you get on a Velocity.

By the way, I have never seen  a Piper with a castering nose gear.  I have flown a J-3 Cub, Tri-Pacer and flown a Cherokee for 16 years.  Even the Cub had a steerable tail wheel.

The retract has an advantage in that there is good air flow over the brakes.  I hope this is of some help.  I also think that 2500 feet of runway should be enough if you hit it right.  Don White used to operate out of an airport in Buffalo NY with a 2600 ft runway.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin IVO