REFLECTOR: Ideas for cooling the #6 (far out) cylinder.

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Sat Jun 2 23:23:22 CDT 2007

I had another flight where the scope of the flight was limited by the #6 CHT and the oil temp.  I think the oil temp can be addressed by adding an exit baffle the sucks the air out of duct more forcefully.

The CHT is a puzzling one.  I got a few suggestions for adding a baffle under the cowl to direct more are to the #6 that is really way out there at the end.  The trouble is, I am having a hard time figuring where and how big the baffle should go.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

It was a 80 degree day in Seattle and I had to keep the plane at 3000ft, 110Kts, power pulled fairly far back so that the #6 CHT and the oil temp won't redline.

On a related topic, I knew that if I got higher where the air is cooler, and went faster where I got more airflow, I could keep things cooler.  The trouble is, I couldn't get there without redlining something.  Would it be bad to fly it Redlined on one cyl for a few minutes it takes to get high and fast enough?  I've been trying really hard not to keep things in red for long for fear of doing some damage to the engine.

Hiroo