REFLECTOR: Shuttle Night Launch Aug 7

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 18:45:58 CDT 2007

Brent,
Pls keep in mind that NASA often wait to (literally) the last second to
scrub a mission launch because of wx.  Come to the launch with a mindset
that it will be delayed until the following day, or the day after because of
evening thunder showers.  I've witnessed launches from 50miles and 25miles
away from the launch pad.  The closer one gets to the launch pad, the better
the experience.  The sound, vibration, and light are incredible!  It makes
little difference where you fly and base the aircraft prior to the launch.
Titusville, Melbourne, Merritt Island, Valkaria, Sebastian, even Orlando
Executive are all viable options.  MLB and MCO have rental cars.  I suggest
flying into MLB, getting a rental car, overnight in Cocoa Beach on the
scheduled evening of the launch - and cross your fingers that the wx
cooperates and NASA lights the candles.  It is truly an awsome sight!
I welcome you to Sebastian, but the view from here is less than dramatic -
and we don't hear the rocket burn.  There are lots of viewing areas along
area beaches.  Satellite Beach is popular.  You can pick up the launch
early; the sound takes about 3-minutes to reach the beach.
Again, plan on the mission being delayed a day or maybe two - and you will
be happy with the outcome.
Best regards,
Scott Baker