REFLECTOR: Moral Dilemma

bdtopp at comcast.net bdtopp at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 09:54:55 CDT 2007

Scott,
  If the "system" truely works here, you may not have a dilema here.  A "professional" instructor will not sign him off on the BFR until he is proficient, and, I don't believe he will be able to get a medical.  You could tell him that you will wait until he has completed the BFR and has a medical before you test fly the aircraft.
  I understand the predicament you are in as I have faced this as a flight instructor.  In my situation, I believe they were using our freindship as a way to get the BFR without doing all the training that was needed to be proficient.  It really ticked me off once I thought about it.  BTW... I refused to sign them off until the training occurred.  In both cases, they ultimately decided to stop flying becase they didn't want to commit the time and money to become proficient.

Good Luck...

Bruce Topp

From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>