REFLECTOR: Aircraft leveling

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jul 17 10:42:34 CDT 2007

Jim;

Are you sure it was exactly level prior to the hard landing?  I’d guess that
2 ½” difference wingtip to wingtip is not an uncommon thing; so that, in
itself, may not be a concern.  If yours changed by that much, that is more
of a concern, but is less than about 1/2” on one leg, or ¼” on each.  One or
both could have been deformed a very slight amount, and is made permanent
with the new wraps.  If you can find NO other changes in the gear structure
and supports, then I’d think it is likely not a concern.  I’m sure you have
made certain the extension and retract is working freely and reliably?

BTW; is the carbon fiber wrap a good idea; and recommended by the factory?
Definitely stronger, but also stiffer and more brittle.

FWIW;

Al

Subject: REFLECTOR: Aircraft leveling

 After a  really hard landing with side drift the gear on my 173 RG showed
cracking in the fiberglass & pain and also the gear doors broke loose, more
like a semi controlled crash. After removing the gear and all paint and
wraps to the core to check for damage, we determined they were not damaged
so redid the lay-ups with carbon fiber and reinstalled.  bolts were not bent
and go in and out easily and no other apparent damage.  The camber on the
axels in the same as before in specs and the upper gear fits tight in the
sockets just as it did before but now I have one wingtip about 2& 1/2 inches
lower than the other and the spar is no longer level sitting on the ground..

Does anyone have any Ideas as to what could have changed to cause this. I
would guess the remedy would be to move the sockets but then this would
change the camber and make it necessary to fix that also.  Im planning to
flyit this way and see if the legs change shape a little after a few
landings as everything else went right back in place.

Thanks.

Jim