REFLECTOR: Adjustable Seat Back Hinges

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Sat Jul 14 23:01:31 CDT 2007

I recently bought the new adjustable seat back hinges from Velocity, but
have had difficulty getting them installed in a way that makes them operate
smoothly or freely.  Understanding that they are designed not to mount
directly against the seat bottom and back pans (but instead with the seat
fabric and a little bit of foam trapped in between), we have tried using
shims to simulate the thickness of the fabric and foam.  But even so, we
have still been unable to install them so that they operate smoothly and
freely or to allow the front seat backs to be easily folded down nearly on
top of the seat bottoms for easy ingress to the rear seats and for the easy
storage of bags behind the rear seats.

The basic problem seem to be the fact that the lower part of the seat backs,
where the hinges attach to the embedded hardpoints, are not parallel which
angles the two hinge axes and prevents them from being co-linear, as shown
in the photo below:

The angling also causes the seat tilt rod to bend and not operate smoothly.
The adjustable seat hinges seem like a good idea, but we have been unable to
install them properly.

The question is whether or not someone on the Reflector has been able to
successfully shim the hinges to allow the seat back to move smoothly and
easily through it's full range of tilt forward motion, and if so, how they
did it.

Any ideas or suggestions from people who have made them work would be
appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob Jackson

XLRG