REFLECTOR: Featherfill G2

Joe Ewen jewen at comporium.net
Mon Jul 9 18:24:52 CDT 2007

Matt,
I used a coat of featherfill on my wings to smooth  pin holes and small
imperfections.  I used it only after contacting the manufacturer for
compatability info.  According to the manufacturer it was compatible with
fiberglass, epoxies, etc.  Most of it was sprayed over epoxy primer (as a
surfacer,) some over bare fiberglass.  Everything looked pretty good after
topcoating (PPG 2 stage.)  After about 6 months and a winter temperture
cycle, I had delamination in multiple areas, some spots as large as a foot
in diameter, I ended up repainting the whole wing.  The failure was between
the featherfill and the underlying structure.  3M makes a comparable product
that I tested and had even worse results than the featherfill.

I would suggest using epoxy/micro balloon for shape, epoxy primer, then a
sandable primer surfacer (most of it is sanded off) to fill the pin holes
and minor defects.  I would not suggest using bondo or sprayable polyester
fillers for shaping large areas as one would use the epoxy micro balloon,
that would add a lot of weight to the structure.

Your mileage may vary,
Joe