REFLECTOR: Update Oil temps

Jack Sheehan jsheehan at ncam-sats.org
Mon Jul 9 15:15:23 CDT 2007

My saga of high oil temp has continued. IO-540 260 Hp
Recap- Normal oil temp for 600 hours has been 203 ( would vary a little)
Oil temp sudenly rose to 215-218 higher in climd (230+)
Inspected cleaned vernatherm ( it was clean) nothing in filter etc.
Changed oil replaced vernatherm back to 208 for a few hours then high again
New vernatherm no change. Found tool to dress the vernatherm seat in
oi flter adapter housing. This fixed it back to 203 for about 5 hours
then back to 218 again.
The problem seemed to be with the seat in the housing. A new housing
cost was about $280 The new vernatherm was $200.
I have wanted an Airwolf remote oil filter for awhile so my oil
changes would be easier. Spoke with airwolf and the offending spin on
adapter housing would go away with the airwolf and the vernatherm
goes back to using the original seat on the engine. Although the
Airwolf was about $465 half was going to be a new housing so I am a
happy camper. I have flown about 4 hours and the temps in cruise are
199 steady climb to 8000 ft, hot day, max 208.
If you have a lycoming and get temp problems do look for all the
obvious things but you may want to consider the switch to a remote
filter and get rid of the spin on adapter housing.
I will let you know if anything further develops.

Jack
N55XL
Race 55