REFLECTOR: [c-a] Re: COZY: Re: 24 volt versus 12

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Sat Jan 27 18:44:38 CST 2007

I agree with Ron.  Another way to look at it is this:  All batteries (or
cells for that matter) have an internal resistance.  In most cases that
resistance is fairly low.  If a battery had infinite internal resistance
it would never charge as it would never present a load to the charger.
In order for multiple batteries (or multi-cell batteries for that
matter) to charge evenly, the internal resistance of each battery (or
cell) must be pretty close to the same.  Otherwise, the batteries (or
cells) will not charge evenly.  If you wire two of the same type12-volt
batteries in series and then put a load across one of them, the load
will make the battery appear to the charger to have a lower internal
resistance.  Thus, if you are charging the batteries with, say 28-volts,
perhaps you may measure a voltage of 13 volts across one of the
batteries (the one with the load on it) and 15 volts across the other
one.  That would result in uneven charging.

If you want to look at it from a current standpoint, if you break any
electrical circuit and measure the current (amperage) at any given point
it will be the same as at any other point.  That means that if you
charge two 12-volt batteries in series with 50 amps of current, each
battery is getting 50 amps of current at approximately 12-14 volts.  If
one of the batteries has a load across it (let's say your avionics bus)
then it will be sharing that 50 amps with other stuff.  Thus, the other
battery (unloaded one) is getting more of the charge.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG