REFLECTOR: Cockpit Voice Recorder

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 23 15:45:32 CST 2007

Several months back, someone suggested using a digital recorder as a CVR.

I found a fantastic value in a 2 GB MP3 player that also includes an audio line in for hours worth of recording.

I had a cheap one that I found at CVS last year that really didn't work very well, so I decided to do a search and see if I could find a better one.  I found this outstanding Transcend 520 at Tiger Direct for $59.95.  Besides playing 2 mb worth of Jimmy Buffett it will also record hours worth of audio.  (I have an audio input jack that ties into my intercom system).

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo1

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo%29864&CatId$75

Oh, did I mention, it also has a great FM tuner and doubles as a 2 mb Flash Drive too!!! 15 hours on a AAA battery.

I installed a 1/8" stereo jack and wired it to my intercom head set jack using a 100 ohm resistor.  You will want to wire the headphone into both sides of the 1/8 jack so that both tracks will be recorded into the Transcend.  It is easy to set up and record hours worth of CVR, then download to your PC for later review using a USB cable. Everything that you hear in your headset is recorded with great quality - even at the lowest bit rate settings. Great way to record performance data - data is accurately time stamped too,

Ronnie Brown