REFLECTOR: Low CHTs

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 22 13:18:56 CST 2007

I had thought about a cable similar to our prop control cable that is
adjustable with a button to push in mounted on the front of my overhead
vent duct that was tucked up in a corner of the duct exiting high in the
rear of the duct going through the firewall attached to a bellcrank that
would partially close a butterfly valve in each NACA while still
attached to the firewall.  The two butterfly baffles would be connected
in the midline with the cable movements changing both.  Another
installation could be a flapper plate hinged in the front of the NACA's
as they pass through the firewall so upward pressure would partially
close the NACA passage.  Volkswagons had temperature sensitive bellows
with a shaft that I considered using as cowl flaps but never did since
heat is not my problem.  One of these old bellows could possibly be
mounted so they automatically open and close the baffle partially
without oversight if properly adjusted.  I prefer the cable exercise.

FWIW

Rene'