REFLECTOR: Low CHTs

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 17 13:01:53 CST 2007

Hi John,

I think that is a GREAT idea - using bimetallic springs.  I have been
thinking about adding butterfly valves in the NACA down ducts, but didn't
want to run actuating cables.  However, the bimetallics would be a great
approach.  Two thoughts, build the valves so that they can't close
completely off, i.e. they can only close part of the air flow off.  Second,
the airflow should try to open the valves, the bimetallic would close the
valve with cold OAT.  However, the bimetallic springs in carb chokes
operates off of either exhaust heat or an electric coil - I've seen both
used.

My cabin heat is working good down to about 30 degrees or so - as some one
suggested earlier, closing off the damper valve completely restricts the
amount of cooling of the oil, and therefore causes the engine to run warmer,
hence warmer oil and vernatherm opens.  (did that make any sense???)  But my
heads are running around 310 degrees which is a bit cool.

Ronnie