REFLECTOR: Starter problem

PUSHERPILOT at wmconnect.com PUSHERPILOT at wmconnect.com
Thu Jan 11 22:20:28 CST 2007

My Velocity Std RG has a flown 110 hours now and when I tried to start it the
other day the start switch circuit breaker popped.  A friend told me that the
starter solenoid (on the starter) was clicking when I turned the switch.  I
took the starter to a repair shop and after a complete check out they said that
it was in perfect condition.

I called Sky-Tec and was told that the solenoid pulls 6 amps.  I had
installed a 5 amp breaker, but it has worked until now.  At this point I assumed that
the breaker has been over worked and finally failed.  To test this idea I
connected a 10 amp breaker to a separate lead to the solenoid and the engine
cranked.  The problem now is that when I tried the regular circuit with the 5 amp
breaker it worked fine.

Replacing the 5 amp breaker with a 10 amp would seem to be the fix, but that
is a real nasty job.  Ideas, suggestions?

Mel Bina