REFLECTOR: Gear-up landing

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Thu Jan 11 07:52:02 CST 2007

Al,
Glad to hear repeair was pretty straightforward for repair, as it
usually is.  What happened to the prop?

Relating a similar experience, during transition training and checkout,
which I did at Lakeland, FL, I was doing the some pattern work and the
check pilot wanted me to do an engine out landing from abreast mid
field. Heading into the pattern, we'd alerted the tower we were staying
in the pattern and would be doing an engine out so we would be flying a
non-standard approach.

I hadn't put the gear down, so when abreast mid field, I just cut the
power, and started a slow descending turn toward the runway while
judging speed/altitude/runway position.  As instructed, I didn't put the
gear down until I knew I had the runway made.  I turned onto a short
final is good shape and was probably 200' agl when the tower called out
'go around, go around'.  Well, just a few seconds before they called,
I'd actuated the gear but it hadn't moved enough for the tower to see it
and by the time they made their call I was close to getting two greens
and prepared to go around if I didn't.

After we started climbout and got cleaned up, we called the tower guy
and asked what the problem was because we hadn't see any runway
obstacles or other problems.  He said it was his practice to keep
binoculars on retractables doing T-n-Gs and other pattern work as the
distraction and non-standard flying was high risk for gear ups landings.
He said he'd seen our gear start to come down just as he called the go
around but he wanted to be sure.  Of course, there's quite a bit of
traffic at Lakeland but he said he averages about one save a year---we
thanked him.

Chuck Jensen