REFLECTOR: Running LOP

Bernard Despins bdespins at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 4 08:54:02 CST 2007

The THX system can be implemented using instrumented spark plugs (like
the PRISM system) instead of drilling and tapping a new hole.  You send
the plug you want to instrument (automotive style in my case)  to a
company which uses electrical discharge machining to bore a hole in the
right place and then install the pressure probe.

I've looked into the ionic sensing concept, but could not find enough
information.  The biggest problem that I could find, was that the signal
being monitored is very small compared to the large voltage spikes
occurring in neighboring plugs.  All commercial pressure monitors I
could find used a system of fiber optics to measure the movement of a
tiny diaphragm .  This decoupled the noise.  I'm sure ionic sensing is
coming though...

Bernard