REFLECTOR: Running LOP

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Jan 3 20:19:30 CST 2007

No, "porting and polishing" is the process by which the air flow passages in
the heads (outside of the valves) are opened up for better breathing,
typically with a die grinder.  It requires that a flow bench be available so
that the changes to the cylinders all match.  It also requires some artistic
talent and a very clear idea of where the stresses in the head are, so that
the cylinder isn't weakened.

When Ly-Con built up my IO-540 I had them port and polish the new Lycoming
cylinders to get all six to breathe the same.  I wasn't really after more
power, I was really after the ability to run Lean of Peak.  While testing
the engine in the test cell, they also did a bit of witchcraft with reaming
the injectors to try to get the fuel distribution as well balanced as
possible.  The nominal 260-hp engine actually made about 293 hp at 2700 rpm
with my Custom Aircraft Parts 3-into-1 exhaust stacks installed.

Now if I can just finish up the plane and get it in the air!

Keith Hallsten, XLFG