REFLECTOR: Battery Isolator

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Jan 3 09:26:47 CST 2007

The best part about this is that we can scratch our own itch.  I love
this stuff.

I opted for pilot workload simplicity.  Automation is used wherever
possible, as well as solid state.  For the stuff that I don't trust with
the magic smoke (keeping it inside the wires), I have the typical toggle
switches.

My "must work" toggle switches are in a 3x3 row low on the panel just
above the keel.  Everything else is solid state or automated.  These
switches are for everything that keeps the plane in the air:

Top row:
main battery solenoid
join busses
essential battery solenoid

Middle row:
fuel pump
electronic fuel injectors
electronic ignition

Bottom Row:
magneto
alternator
starter

Even with what I consider to be a fairly simple dual bus system, the
emegency procedures are complex.  I have procedures for failed
alternator, failed battery times two, which leads to a lot of other
options.  The pilot should know how each system is affected by a power
problem.  Just a suggestion when developing your system.