REFLECTOR: Adding a door

gpoole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Tue Jan 2 18:07:40 CST 2007

Good point Ken!

I wonder if the carbon fibre addition in the “conversion kit” (as per
Monsieur Baker), is to make up for some lost strength due to the keel cut
down of the SUV?  I went ahead years ago and bought the additional carbon
fibre door pillars used for the XL for my Std RG E and was going to also
cage between the two with carbon fibre re-inforcing to the cockpit roof. My
concern was to prevent any flexing/misalignment due to the large cutouts of
the gull wing doors and the flexing that occurs with the gas struts.
Factory advice was that it was not required…

If the extra carbon BID reinforcement offered in the SUV conversion kit is
not a makeup for the cut down keel then I’m left wondering whether I should
have gone ahead and reinforced my cockpit roof anyway…

Greg in Sydney

HYPERLINK "mailto:gregpoole at saaachapter11.com"gregpoole at saaachapter11.com