REFLECTOR: Wing Root Protection

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Sun Feb 25 17:54:54 CST 2007

Kurt, I think the wing root protection is critical (maybe more so than the
firewall). I coated mine with a fire retardant (intumescent) paint that I
got from AS many years ago. Someone told me of a Velocity that crashed
because they had an unknown fire for quite awhile that eventually burned off
the wing supports. The fire exposed the wing roots where the wing bolts
holding the wings are located. Also, the wings contain combustible foam if
it burns through the fiberglass. Fire retardant paint works (I know from
experience).

Chuck H

p.s. I use the piano hinge setup on my plane and it's great. Cowls off or on
in less than a minute.