REFLECTOR: sabbatical

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 19 05:58:11 CST 2007

Doug,

If you managed to convince your wife that a finished certified Velocity is worth $50k more than the collection of parts and since you like building so much, then why not changing your self-employment area into a Velocity builder forever.  It is said that starting with the second or third Velocity built, one can significantly reduce the time it takes to build.  People at the Velocity Center said (when I was their in the head start program) that they can now probably finish one airplane in 6 months.  So here is the business plan :-)

1) buy 2 kits from Velocity a year
2) finish them
3) sell them for a total profit of $100k
4) go to 1

I'm actually only semi-kidding.  My father is about to retire in Romania and he is already getting bored to death, he needs to do something.  I'm thinking of bringing him to the US and give him airplanes to build.  I think that fastbuilt Velocity kits are the fastest to complete on the market.  Anybody has already thought of this?  Is it worth doing?

Grigore