REFLECTOR: Starters (was How to protect the battery bus)

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 19:05:03 CST 2007

Terry & John,

I have a Lyc IO-540 in my XL with 10:1 compression
pistons. I used #2 wires with soldered terminals for
both power and ground. I started out with a 750 CCA
lead acid battery feeding my Sky-Tec "flyweight" (PM)
starter. There were no real issues during cold starts,
but the system struggled to turn the engine over for
hot starts. After checking all connections 100 times,
I switched to a 980 CCA lead acid battery with only
marginal improvement.

My PM starter suffered an internal mechanical failure
after about 100 hours. Sky-Tec gave me full credit
against a Sky-Tec "High Torque" (HTI) starter.

These starters are two completely different designs,
both mechanically and electrically. The biggest
benefit for my application is that the HTI starter
draws a lot less amps. Since it is geared differently,
it's max RPM is less than that of the PM but it's
still plenty fast.

100+ hours and Sky-Tec HTI has been flawless, even
with a depleted battery and a hot engine.

FWIW, Pat