REFLECTOR: updraft vs sidedraft vs updraft cooling

gpoole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Sat Feb 17 16:29:29 CST 2007

I have been making the same deliberations as Doug for quite some time.
There are compromises with every option ..sigh! Scoops vs NACA ducts...

If pinching air before the prop with a scoop on the belly is considered to
affect prop efficiency then perhaps (surely?) Al G's & several other's
approach of putting radiators in the wing is the way to go.  I like the idea
of being able to tailor the amount of air to the radiators to balance the
compromise between drag and amount of cooling required by having variable
inlets. Only problem is that the air needs to do several sharp turns to get
to the cylinder heads....which would should slow it down considerably....

Would be interested in this thread continuing to see what others think....

Greg in Sydney.

gregpoole at saaachapter11.com