REFLECTOR: 28 volt instruments/avionics

Douglas Holub doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Sat Feb 17 13:00:10 CST 2007

One of the arguments against a 28 volt system is that avionics and instruments are more expensive. I think that was more true in years past then it is today. Most avionics designed in the last 10 years accept 11-33 volts.

And here's an advantage that will go away if more of you start designing 28 volt systems: there is less demand (fewer bidders) on Ebay for 28 volt instruments and avionics. At least that's my impression. Just today I got a used whiskey glass compass for $25 on Ebay. I was the only bidder, and I think it was because it uses a 28 volt light. A couple of months ago I bought a used Narco 811 for $450. The 811 is 28 volts only. I saw a used Lamar 2401 starter sell for $15 plus shipping yesterday. I was sorry to see that, because I paid $100 for one last month.

Doug Holub
scrounging for parts