REFLECTOR: How to protect the battery bus

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Feb 17 09:55:14 CST 2007

Excellent post.
I was chasing gremlins in by EFI setup about a year ago. Voltage drops
all along the loop contribute to low performance at the starter. Once
you get to the starter, all that current *has* to return to the battery.
V=IR is the law. For each connector and wire in the return path, there
will be a "voltage rise" that current has to work against to get to the
battery.

If you have a big thermopile, this is a lot easier to illustrate.
Perhaps a 1Kw heater or some other heavy load will do.
Connect the load instead of the starter.
Using your voltmeter, connect the ground of your meter to the negative
battery post. For each connection along the way measure the voltage.
Start on the ground wire to the starter and return back to the battery.
This will tell you a lot about the quality of your connections and where
you should pay attention to get the largest return on your
troubleshooting time.