REFLECTOR: How to protect the battery bus

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Fri Feb 16 20:13:00 CST 2007

Hiroo,

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I don't know for sure, but it sounds like when the starter stopped spinning the in-rush currents trying to turn it went so high the shunt was blown.  I'd argue that you don't care what the current is when starting, so if you can't find a large enough shunt to handle the current, I'd consider putting a fuse or limiter on its line, or perhaps another contactor that drops the shunt out while the starter is engaged.

Brett