REFLECTOR: How to protect the battery bus

Joe Ewen jewen at comporium.net
Fri Feb 16 19:48:05 CST 2007

Hiroo,
Rather than a shunt you may want to consider a current sensor.  In my opinion there are several advantages to a Hall Effect Current Sensor.  There are no exposed electrical parts, in many cases it is lower cost than a shunt, it can withstand a much greater over current than a shunt, and it can be hooked to a single ended analog input rather than a differential input (single ended IO is cheaper than differential.)  The current sensor provides a voltage output rather than a current, so may not work properly with a discrete ammeter, but if you have a scalable voltage input (such as in a EFIS) then this would work very well.

http://www.ampsense.com/

Joe